Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sufficient

How often do we believe we are insufficient?  Unworthy?  Not good enough?

Several weeks ago, while running, a woman was admitting her unbelief.  During the conversation, this woman confessed her lack of faith at times as she struggled to raise children of faith.  She was truly grieved by her unbelief.  As we ran along I thought about her situation and listened as others said things like, "Put away that doubt," as if it were a thing that could be tucked in a drawer and forgotten.  Eventually, I said to her, "Jesus told a man his child would be made well if he only believed.  The man responded, 'I believe; help my unbelief.'  And immediately the child was made well."  (See Mark 9:14-29)  I went on to say that Jesus knows that none of us are 100% faithful 100% of the time. 

The man's faith was sufficient as incomplete as it was.  Jesus did not then say, "You are not adequate," nor "What I have to give is insufficient to meet your need."  The man's belief was sufficient because the power of Jesus was sufficient well beyond his unbelief.

One of the things with which I struggle is that God's grace is sufficient for me.  It was enough for the man who came to Jesus with a child in need.  It was enough for the woman running along the trail.  It was enough for the Apostle Paul who desired to have the thorn removed from his flesh and pleaded to the Lord three times before Jesus said to him, "My grace is sufficient for you." (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)

Sufficient.  Enough.  An adequate answer.  Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient."

Yes, it is sufficient.  It is good enough.  It is adequate to the task.  God's grace is sufficient for me.  It is enough to set me free.  It is adequate to the task of forgiveness and hope.  I don't need more.  There is already enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a song I know.
How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed.

Thanks for being you, Andrew.
Jenn

Jason said...

I wonder what it would look like if the woman running with you, as well as others, would move away from Faith as simply "believing" or "giving mental assent to propositions" and move into Faith as Trust, Fidelity, and a life-giving worldview?

It seems to me your post begins to address Faith as Trust and even Faith as a life-giving worldview. I appreciate your post and long for more Faith talk that is not monopolized by Faith as "belief".